Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Seasonally impossible

The first time I saw it I thought I was going mad.

The next time my husband thought I was going mad.

But then I saw it again and got proof... elderflowers and elderberries on the same plant... in September!! Have you ever seen this before?


But this is not the only unseasonal occurrence in the past twelve months.

We had snow on roses and ripe strawberries in our garden in December last year. Daffodils too! The parsley and chives were up and green in January and had gone to seed by May. lettuces sown in late March didn't sprout till mid August.  Surely this is climate change in action. Do you have any strange unseasonal happenings in your neck of the woods?

4 comments:

  1. For those of you into elder check out http://elderberries.ning.com for everything you wanted to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one pink magnolia flower on my tree! Which I just noticed the other day and thought was rather lovely.

    And a red rose bush in my garden suddenly burst into flower when my friend Brenda died this year and it seemed to be magical. It flowered more abundantly than I ever remember it doing before. I always think of her now when I look upon it. She was a big believer in the power and magic of plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our roses have done that too. And your comment reminded me that I spotted a couple of flowers on my dad's magnolia last week which I found very odd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not unusual for elder to have a flower and berries at the same time. This isn't a new occurance, I have elders in the garden for as long as I can remember (admittedly that's only about 40 years) but I have seen it very often.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...